Our Sponsors

Monday, July 14, 2014

(Re)Generation Who became a thing.

I can't remember entirely when Oni Hartstein asked me what I thought of a mid-Atlantic-area Doctor Who convention, but I remember what I said: we don't have one, we wish we had one, and we need one. What I do remember is sitting with them in a Mexican restaurant a fair while later when they were in town and being told in great detail about the mid-Atlantic-area Doctor Who convention we were going to do.


And so (Re)Generation Who became a thing right where I was sitting. It went from 'Wouldn't it be cool if' to 'Make us your ideal guest list' to 'Hey the site launches next month' to 'Hey, Colin Baker just signed with us.' I've said before that Oni doesn't do things by halves and that's definitely the truth here, too. We had a bang-up launch and we've still got more up our sleeves.

I will say, though, that this is a massive learning experience for me. I'm the Community Manager, which essentially means I'm the link between the con and the fans. That involves social media, getting us out to blogs/podcasts/news sites/other cons, and interacting with everyone at the con itself. I did some social media work in my last job, but not a heck of a lot and not with something nearly so popular. It's exciting now because I'm actually talking to people and doing something, and I'm getting to see just how eager fans like us are to see something like this.

Really, the most delightful part of it is when I'll see someone say 'Well, thank God, finally a Doctor Who convention near me!' There are scattered ones and they're lovely; but a fairly con-full region like ours not having one is a travesty, and I'm glad people are happy and excited.

Also pleasing is how happy many of the actors, writers, and business sorts are to be involved and/or lend resources. We're very fortunate to have chatted with a few of each who want to help or attend. It's extremely gratifying to know that the people you see onscreen are just as lovely in real life. And I'm looking forward to meeting all of them next March.

This is gonna be a weird and wonderful eight months and I can't wait. I have a feeling I'm gonna learn a lot in general, so I know it's not going to be easy. But I'm looking forward to sharing what hype I'm allowed to with everyone as I go.

Which reminds me, got some stuff to send out.

ETA: At the time of this posting we've just announced that Sylvester McCoy will also be attending. The train don't stop.