Our Sponsors

Thursday, January 7, 2016

WORLD END ECONOMiCA EPISODE 2: Love in the Time of Lunar Day-Trading

For everyone who's bought the first episode of WORLD END ECONOMiCA so far, thank you. If you haven't, consider buying it on Steam. It combines romance, sci-fi, and the stock market, and it is (really not surprisingly at all) from the creator of Spice & Wolf.

But wait, there's more!


All told, WEE has three episodes. The second takes place four years after the events of the first, and -- without spoiling anything -- stuff's not going so great for our dashing young day-trading genius Hal. But there's a new girl in his life: Eleanor, who is super posh and super smart. Like super posh and super smart. Like she stays in a six-digit-a-night-priced room but it's trashed with crisp packets. This is how you know she's legit.

But while the first chapter focused on the art of predicting the market, this slides away from that and talks more about how corporations can ruin it for everyone else. We see talk of corrupt companies, which is par for the course in movies and TV shows anymore. We're used to that. The difference here is that we get long lessons in how and why they're corrupt, and -- more importantly -- how they can get away with it.

I've said before that I learn more about finances working on WEE than I've learned in school or in my brief training/career as a bank teller many years ago. And it's true. It's also a help that our mighty translator knows a ton about economics and was thus a perfect fit for this project, so any technical talk can be left in his capable hands without me having to worry at all. Even better, he'll occasionally leave me little notes in the margins, or just tag me on Skype to explain what's up.

At the time of my writing this, well before you'll see this published, a friend is visiting while I'm on the seventh chapter of this project. I gave her the brief lowdown on it, and she said, 'This ... actually sounds really interesting.' I've stopped feeling like I have to make excuses for WEE ('It's about day trading on the Moon BUT ACTUALLY IT'S SUPER INTERESTING') because I'm learning that it speaks for itself.

I hope you'll end up enjoying it as much as I currently do.

WORLD END ECONOMiCA Episode 2 is now available via Steam. If you're new to the games, consider picking up Episode 1 to kick off the story.