Our Sponsors

Monday, April 18, 2016

(Re)Generation Who 2



Oh, what a time.

(Re)Generation Who is the sister event of Intervention, and if you follow me at all, you've heard a ton about it already. I'm the community manager for the event (which entails social media, outreach, goodwill ambassador, pre- and post-con guest help, pre- and post-con con chair help, and I forget what else), as well as an interviewer for many of the panels.

It's a lot of work. But God, it's fun.

We had an absolutely massive guest list this year: Peter Davison and Colin Baker were our attending Doctors, with every living Second Doctor companion and Patrick Troughton's son Michael (of "Last Christmas" and The New Statesman) also in attendance. Nicola Bryant, Sophie Aldred, and Terry Molloy were all back, and we had Nick Briggs and Jason Haigh-Ellery of Big Finish and "Dalek" writer Robert Shearman. Writers John Peel, Nev Fountain, and Keith deCandido were there, and... I'm forgetting people. It was a massive guest list. Seriously.

Here's at least a smidge of what I got up to.





My first panel of the weekend was with Frazer Hines, who played Jamie, the show's longest-running companion. He had lots of fantastic stories to tell about working with Patrick Troughton and the other companions, and a very sweet story about his trip to the new series set to visit Peter Capaldi.



Later that night, I was back doing the Companions panel for my second year in a row, interviewing Wendy Padbury, Deborah Watling, Nicola Bryant, and Sophie Aldred. Much to everyone's surprise, Anneke Wills crashed the panel! She was most welcome, of course (as she totally belongs there and I'd been a bit sad that her name wasn't on the schedule for that panel in the first place), and it was an amazing time all around.



I was thrilled on Saturday to get to interview Peter Davison about The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot. I'd seen him in Spamalot at the West End many years ago and met him briefly afterward, and he's such a sweet person. I was so happy we got him here this year, and that he was so enthusiastic about the programming and the event as a whole. He also is apparently quite entertained by bonobos, but that's a story for another time.




My last interview panel was with my friend Rob Shearman, about the Ninth Doctor era. It didn't feel like a panel so much as a casual chat with microphones. Always fun to talk to Rob -- hoping we can do more panels together in future. Maybe with some beer next time.




I also got to perform onstage with Terry Molloy, Cat Smith, Hannah Harkness, and several of my friends during the Davros Variety Hour. Our bit was a Penn & Teller send-up -- very clever of Bryan to figure me out a part with no lines to memorize over my busy weekend! Truly the most fun I've had onstage in years, and I hope we all get to do it again sometime.

(Re)Gen 3 planning is already rolling. But between now and then, there's Intervention, and we've got some extremely cool stuff in the works for that. Keep your ear to the ground for more!