Our Sponsors

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

REVIEW: February Birchbox

My lack of reviews on Birchbox isn't a commentary on the quality; I've been loving them so far, and definitely dipping into full sizes of many of the samples I get. It's more a matter of being busy and forgetting to take the time to really coherently give these a once-over.

What I can say is that many of the products sent to me have become a part of my daily routine, and I'm happy to be subscribed to them. Once in a while there's a slip-up, but they aren't monthly ones as they were with others I tried. So small issues that come up are bearable, as I know they're not regular issues.


I love new lipsticks and new lipstick shades -- unfortunately, this sample (while listed on my card and on my dash on the site) did not arrive in my box. A shame, as I'd love to have given it a try. But reading other reviews, it arrived melted or damaged. So there could have been an issue with the samples in the first place. Regardless, I hope I'll have a chance at it in a later box.


I don't even know what a hair mask is or what makes it different from conditioner. All my research basically tells me that a hair mask is a deep conditioner -- which is fine. The sample I got gave me (with my current hair length) one use. The scent was nice, not overpowering, and it was a bit thicker than my usual conditioner. You massage it in, leave it for 2-5 minutes, and then rinse it out. I didn't notice any immediate difference, but in the morning my hair definitely seemed to be behaving itself more. One the one hand, I like this; on the other, I'm not sure I can justify the price. I've heard hair masks are not really for daily use, so maybe.


I'm still getting used to the idea of sheet masks. I've finally mastered the ones that come in tubes, but getting the ones you fold out and lay on your face is still a work in progress. Generally what I do when I get one of these is lay it on and take a nap 'til it's time for it to come off. This one is an "illuminating" mask with pomegranate and green tea. It smells absolutely amazing, and comes off easily. A bit of serum is left on your skin when you remove the fiber mask, which you just massage in and let soak in. It didn't feel sticky or oily at all, which is a big plus in my book. I'm not sure if it made a huge difference, but it sure did feel nice.



Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I need -- no sarcasm. I have a lot of breakouts, no matter how hard I work to balance my diet and skin care regimen to minimize them. This smells a little strong (like lemongrass -- some people like it, I'm ambivalent), but it feels light and the smell disperses pretty quickly. I've only been using it for a few days now, but I'm noticing that my skin is slowly getting clearer. If the improvement continues, I may well invest in a full-sized bottle of this.



Overall -- yes, I'm disappointed at a missing sample, especially since lipsticks are one of my favourite parts of any sample box. I'm hoping something can be done about that. But all else considered, it's a nice set, with a couple things I may well buy.

If you're interested in a subscription (they have boxes for men, too!), follow this link to get started!