Our Sponsors

Monday, April 24, 2017

REVIEW: April Birchbox: "Inside Out"


Honestly, there are times I feel like my monthly Birchbox is my reward for looking after myself. And/or getting out of bed. It's been a rough few weeks for me, so cracking something open with just a pile of nice stuff in it was something of a relief for me. This month's theme, "Inside Out," reflects the nature of the products inside -- multitaskers that are useful from both a cosmetic and skin care standpoint.

And fortunately this month, I knew what everything was!

Marcelle BB Cream Golden Glow ~ $29

Double plus good. I love Marcelle as a brand, and I love BB cream. For someone like me who's clumsy with makeup and always waits 'til the last minute to slap any on, I am all about anything you can put on casually.

I was unsure about the "golden glow" part of it, and when it first went on my skin it looked a little too warm-tinted to blend well. But it looked better as I went on, and ended up adjusting nicely so it didn't look like I'd picked the wrong shade at the grocery store or anything.

This wore very comfortably and stayed on nicely. And it didn't separate like my usual Burt's Bees, either.


Davines LOVE Smoothing Shampoo - For Coarse or Frizzy Hair ~ $26

Always on board to try new shampoo. This had a nice subtle scent to it, was kind of purpley in colour (which is a small point but I love purple), and really did its job. It felt a little heavier than my usual, so it took a little more working through to get it all rinsed out, but the result was nice.

I generally shy away from anything with olive oil in it, but this was made with olive extract and didn't feel terrible and goopy on my hands.


Davines LOVE Smoothing Conditioner - For Coarse or Frizzy Hair ~ $30

After the hair masks, it was nice to just get plain old conditioner. I speak that language. This was a single-serving packet thrown in as a bonus. And it was reeeeeeeeally thick. It honestly felt more like a paste than even the hair masks I've been sent. So I had a little trouble with it at first.

In the end, though, great results. Potentially better than the previous hair masks they sent. I am genuinely tempted to pick up both of these in a set.


Number 4 Jour d'Automne Smoothing Balm ~ $30

My first thought when I opened this was "hotel." It genuinely smells like every shampoo/conditioner/soap/lotion set you find in hotel bathrooms. That's not cursing it. Just something I noticed.

With that out of the way, I really do like the feel of this. It wasn't oily or heavy, and it went into my hair (damp) without weighing it down or making me feel like I was just dropping all the oil right back into it. Which is a plus. My hair is basically impossible to de-frizz completely, but it did enough that I didn't go out looking like I'd stuck my finger in a socket. Which is an accomplishment.


Dr. Jart + Cicapair Tiger Grass Cream ~ $48

I kinda wish this had either come in an earlier box or that all the redness around my eyes and cheeks had come later, because this would have been perfect. As it is, I do have some owwie spots on occasion,and it really does make a difference.

It's thick, but it rubs in well and a little goes a long way. Which is good because at $48 for a little tube I'm not sure I could afford to buy this on the regular. Still, it's a good thing to have on hand for sure.


The Beauty Crop GRLPWR Liquid Lipstick ~ $15

Have I mentioned yet how much I love liquid lipstick? I love it, I love it, I love it. It goes on less icky than any other kind, it goes all matte when it dries, and most types smell kinda chocolate-minty so it's like I'm spreading hot chocolate on my face.

I got this stick in the shade "Imma Bawse," which is a blaringly bright red of a colour I don't normally go for. Though in my profile I do request to be surprised, so I wasn't against it. Let me show you this shade.


Yeah, it's red. And honestly, I really like it. As for durability, it stays on nicely... until you drink something, and then you end up going home with that awful sort of ring of half-done lip. If I'd been long-term at a club I'd have taken it with me and redone it in the bathroom, but eh. All that said, I really do like it.

This month's Birchbox was way more hit than miss, of a much higher percentage than usual. Definitely going to buy a lot of what was in here.

Want to try Birchbox for yourself? Click here and check it out -- there's boxes for men and women, cosmetic and skin care!