Latest Posts

REVIEW: The Ultimate RPG Game Master's Guide

By 4:00 AM

 


So, I'm a little scared to run a game of my own. I've walked right up to the line several times, even made a few two-session attempts, but there's a massive anxiety around actually DMing. I've watched lots of people master this and become amazing, and yet I always pull away from actually starting a campaign of my own at the last minute.

I'm not sure what it is I'm missing. Maybe the fear that I'll upset a player, or miss an important social cue that could make or break party harmony. Maybe I'm fearful of making something too challenging or not challenging enough, or not approaching the story in the way players want. It all comes down to a fear of letting everyone else down, and not bringing the same magic to the table that so many other DMs have provided me.

I am apparently not the only person who feels this way, because there is a whole book about how to feel less that way... or, rather, how to channel those feelings into productive action.

The Ultimate RPG Game Master's Guide comes from James D'Amato, who's been taking up more and more space on my shelf as of late. He combines his knowledge of good gaming with the ability to create actionable advice—an underappreciated skill in this day and age. Like his other works, this book is equal parts reassurance, general advice, and a toolbox of resources that can be used either beforehand or in the moment.

It was somewhat reassuring to see the first few chapters covering things I already knew and took to heart: the idea that there's no one "right way" to play, the importance of establishing expectations and boundaries early on, and so on. But it lays those things out in clear language, even giving sample scripts for if a disruptive player needs to be asked to leave the table. Even better, it offers ways to categorize and work around players' boundaries; for example, how to change an encounter that could be upsetting to a player with arachnophobia while still maintaining an entertaining "fear" level.

Best of all, there are charts and tables. Previous D'Amato books have employed dice and decks of cards outside of game mechanics to generate random questions and talking points. Here, they're tools to map out side quests and NPCs. There's also a chapter on how to create an in-universe fortune-telling deck, as well as how to use it both diegetically and to further the plot.

At this point, it's a no-brainer to say that something by James D'Amato belongs on your shelf if you're a TTRPG enthusiast. But I'm so pleased this book arrived on my doorstep. It's exactly what the frightened would-be GM needs: reassurance on the things they already know, and actionable tips for the things they don't. It's a book I'll be re-reading and sharing for a long time to come.

You Might Also Like

0 comments