Latest Posts

OUT NOW: Otaku USA Summer 2024 Edition

By 3:00 AM

 


It wasn't long ago at all that I alerted you to the latest Anime USA—the special anime-only edition of Otaku USA Magazine that comes out twice a year. But for those of you following the main mag, the summer issue is out!

To address the obvious: yes, it is quarterly now as opposed to bimonthly. So there's fewer issues coming out per year. That said, you'll also get to see more regular coverage of evergreen titles. For example, the excellent Joe Luster covers the also excellent Dragon Ball Z in this issue!

For my part, I'm back again with more reviews and features:



I'm enjoying talking about Pokémon Concierge pretty much anywhere I can, because it really is that worth it. This short, sweet stop-motion series has won over so many people, and rightly so. Check out the mag for my review of this delightful addition to the franchise.



Speaking of shows with healing vibes, I also review My New Boss Is Goofy. This is another installment of the anime genre's recent "Toxic Workplaces Are a Blight on Society" meta-commentary—now with a bonus kitten!



Tearmoon Empire is the subject of one of my two long-form features this time. It's a surprisingly fun series about time travel, second chances, and Sumire Uesaka playing a princess who's either a genius or an absolute idiot. (Spoiler: only the narrator and the audience know the truth.)



And, last but not least, I also cover the anime adaptation of Shangri-La Frontier. Besides it just being an entertaining entry in the full-dive VR subgenre of anime (no one's trapped, life and death aren't on the line, it's gaming all the way down), it's also just a fun case study in fandom. I got to dive into the history of kusoge: where it started, how it's evolved, and how it got us here. Any time I get to learn something new while writing an article, I'm happy.

Grab the latest issue at your local newsstand, or visit the website to subscribe or order individual copies. You can also read shorter web-only articles from me on the website every other day!

You Might Also Like

0 comments