Latest Posts

MERCH REVIEW: Frostbeard Studio

By 3:00 AM

 



There's a very easy way to get me to try your product out: tell me it's for book nerds. (See also: Chapters tea.) Living on my own in my family home, I also appreciate any opportunity to make it feel more "mine." I love reading or writing by candlelight in the evenings. So when I found a candle company for book lovers, I had to order up.

Frostbeard Studio specializes in soy candles inspired by books and bookish things. There are both perennial and seasonal scents, as well as a monthly subscription box to sample brand new scents. To get a sense of whether I'd be becoming a regular, and to make my house smell nicer in the midst of cleaning and decluttering, I grabbed the monthly candle and the summer sample pack.

Short version: I'm sticking with them.

As a whole, these candles are excellent. I'm new to soy wax candles, but I do like how clean-burning they are. I've never had an issue with allergies from soot or smoke, but it's nice to know that any visitors I have over won't have to worry about that. Every scent I got is unique and not overpowering. But somehow - and I'm not sure how - all of them feel right for a cozy reading corner.


Subscription Box (July): Never Never Lagoon

Seen above, Never Never Lagoon is Frostbeard's new Peter Pan-inspired scent. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect with the scents being black coral and stargazer lily, but it's extremely nice. It reminds me a bit of a shady summer beach house. I'm definitely glad I went ahead and got this in the jar, because I think this will be my go-to summer evening reading candle.


Summer Sample Pack

Available until August 15, the Summer Sample Pack features four summery scents. There's not a bad one in the bunch, to be honest—but there are some that will definitely become repeat buys in larger sizes.


Steamy Romance Novel is one I'm really surprised I enjoyed, as I thought it would be too sweet and cloying for me. But the cherry blossom and fruit scents go together extremely well. Of the four in the summer pack, this is the one you can smell the soonest after lighting, and goes the strongest. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's something to bear in mind based on how strong you prefer your candles.


Elevenses is the requisite Middle Earth entry, and it's a winner. It takes the longest out of the four to get its scent in the air, but when it does, it's delicious. The blueberry scone and lemon tea pairing smells like a warm, friendly kitchen. It also attracted several recent visitors to "come smell this." Despite my preference for burning candles in the evening while I work, this is definitely one I prefer for earlier in the day.


Cliffs of Insanity is tied for my favorite of the set. It's a slow-burn scent like Elevenses, but great when it hits. I can never resist a Princess Bride reference, either. But even knowing what it's actually inspired by, it still gives me a bit of a Lovecraftian vibe. I don't hate that at all.


Highstorm is my other Equal Best of the bunch, and I've nearly burned this one down to the bottom without even realizing it. The only way I know to describe the scent of this candle is, it's The Vibe. It's described as having notes of "petrichor, chasm stone, and true rain," and that should give you an idea of what I mean.


Overall, there's not a bad candle in the bunch. And all of them do exactly what I want: fill my room with a cozy, bookish vibe. The team putting these scents together manages to make that happen in every candle I've tried so far.

Candles come in 2oz or 4oz tins, as well as 8oz jars for those scents you know you'll love. If you're in an apartment where you can't burn candles, they also sell wax melts. They also have a rewards club, where you can earn discounts and free home goods by reviewing candles and interacting on social media.

As an author, book lover, and sole owner of a Large Old House, I've found myself becoming more and more invested in actually outfitting my living space to be what I want it to be. And if I can support a small business run by fellow book lovers in the process, even better. I will definitely be checking out more of their products, and I highly recommend you do, too.


You Might Also Like

0 comments