Latest Posts

TEA REVIEW: Chapters

By 5:39 PM

 


Three things you'll know about me within a few minutes of meeting me: I love to write, I love to read, and I love tea. Anything that combines all of those things makes me extremely happy.

I found Chapters Tea completely by chance through an Instagram post (once in a while social media has me figured out). Everything about the company appealed to me: a small business owned by a fellow writer, tea with thought and care put into small-batch blends, gorgeous custom artwork, and a bookish theme. Naturally I had to try them.

I started with three blends from them that already suit my usual tastes, to see how it compares to other brands. And I am irrevocably hooked.

Poet's Study (seen above) is my favorite of the trio I received, but I'm also a fiend for Earl Grey: the stronger, the better. If you're also a fan, you'll know what I mean when I say the bergamot hits just right. The packaging leans into a dark academia vibe, and the blend itself is inspired by the works of Edgar Allan Poe.

I've had a lot of Earl Grey in my time, and this is by far my favorite. It's strong, but in all the right ways. The cornflowers both look lovely in the blend and add a light contrast to the tea's strength. It's my new go-to Earl Grey.


English breakfast is very much a hit-or-miss tea. I've tried plenty of versions where it just comes out to Neutral Tea Flavor. When done right, it reminds me of early mornings at Heathrow after an overnight flight, recalibrating to a new time zone and a new rhythm as I prepare for a few weeks in one of my favorite cities in the world.

Second Breakfast is an English breakfast with a Hobbit-y bent: added marigolds for color and flavor. I never expected to describe English breakfast as "smooth," but this one has all the strength and boldness you'd expect while still being comforting. This is one I can see myself serving to coffee-drinking friends who aren't quite sure about tea yet: it's the most approachable of the trio.



Picnic at Pemberley is the one green tea currently on offer, inspired by the country estate of Pride and Prejudice. Blending a good green tea variant can be tricky, but this is a winner. The rose and jasmine petals stand out beautifully against the green of the tea leaves, and it tastes even better than it looks. (I might be slightly biased, as I'm a fiend of anything with rose in it.)

This one is lighter on the caffeine than the other two, and is perfect for anyone who wants something a bit more floral that still has a kick to it.

What sticks out to me most is the thought that goes into the branding and packaging. The art on each package is beautiful, for one thing. For another, these flavors feel so true to their inspiration. And those are just the ones I tried! 

There are eight in total at the moment, several of which I've still yet to try. Some, like the Little Women-inspired mint and floral At the Waterfront blend, harken back to more favorite books and authors. Others, like the hibiscus and raspberry lemonade Beach Reads or the self-explanatory Chai Café Vanilla, evoke that book lover's life independent of a specific title.

All of them, though, are dedicated to wellness. In addition to the good herbal inclusions, 5% of proceeds go to Active Minds, the nation’s premier nonprofit organization supporting mental health awareness and education for young adults.

I can't recommend Chapters highly enough: not just because it's a small business, not just because it's tea that hits me right in my aesthetic, but because it's actually extremely good.  If you'd like to try some for yourself, the Summer Bookish Bundle is currently on sale: four teas (the three reviewed above and Beach Reads), plus a stainless steel feather teaspoon and 30 drawstring tea bags to make steeping easier.

On the fence about picking up your first back of Chapters tea? How about a discount code? Use code Kara15 at checkout to get 15% off your order!

You Might Also Like

0 comments