Latest Posts

The Forgotten Lives Omnibus

By 3:00 AM

 


A little over a week ago, I wrote about my work on Forgotten Lives. The charity project from Obverse Books, now two anthologies strong, has become popular among fans of the Doctor Who expanded universe, which makes me (and everyone else who worked on it) happier than I can possibly say. There's something about people taking to a character you created with a level of enthusiasm and joy that's usually reserved for canonical Doctors.

What I didn't know—or rather, what I was only partially aware of—was that a hardcover reprint was on the horizon. We'd all been consulted about whether we'd be all right with this (which of course we all were), so I was sitting on the news that it might happen.

And now it has happened. And the response has been tremendous. We've met our minimum orders, so now it's not a matter of if it will happen so much as when. That's more money for Alzheimer's research, too!

If you were unaware, now you know. You can pick up a lovely hardcover with all the stories from both anthologies so far (including my two for the Hinchcliffe Doctor).


I've also been hearing from fans of Forgotten Lives. First off, thanks for reaching out! As I've told some of you, it often feels like I'm writing in a vacuum. So knowing these stories are reaching people means a lot.

There's also a lot of discussion on concerning various topics. I can't answer every question, as it's Philip Purser-Hallard's project and Stuart Douglas's publishing house, but I'll offer some clarity.

The main question I'm seeing is, "Will we be getting a third anthology?" To which my answer is, if PPH shows up in my mailbox saying it's on and asking if I'm in, I will say yes without hesitation and I have several ideas. I'm sure the same is true of many (if not all) previous authors on the project.

I've also seen people asking how to show their support. Of course, the #1 way is to buy a copy of the omnibus, share links, and write reviews. If Obverse knows there are dedicated fans, there's likely to be a positive response.

In the meantime, if you're looking for more to read, may I recommend:

The Black Archive: An ongoing series of scholarly critiques of Doctor Who stories, also published by Obverse. You'll see a lot of familiar names in the mix, which may give you some insight into how they approached writing their Forgotten Lives Doctors. (Mine on Heaven Sent has a whole chapter dedicated to the psychology of the Doctor - person and persona - that will likely offer a lot of context on my stories at least.)

Altrix Books: A wee publisher owned by myself and Paul Driscoll (the mind behind the Gallaccio Doctor and a line editor on the Black Archive). We've done a few things that may be of interest, and will be resuming more active publication soon. Take a look at the first two books of The Chronosmith Chronicles while you're there... once we're both back on our feet after some major life changes, we're hoping to offer more, both from ourselves and other authors.

18thWall: Publisher co-owned by James Bojaciuk (author of the Barry Doctor story The Island of Aeons), with regular writing and editing from Nicole Petit (author of the Gallaccio Doctor story Doctor Crocus and the Factory of the Future). James and Nikki are also very good friends of mine and wonderful to work with, and I'm delighted they both got to be in Forgotten Lives. You'll see my name pop up in a few anthologies of theirs.

Random Thunk: Or rather, watch this space. Best friend Ginger Hoesly and I have collaborated together a lot (you'll see her artwork on several Altrix covers), and we have some further collaborations returning and beginning in the near future. If you enjoy the blend of silliness and creepiness I play with in the Hinchcliffe Doctor stories, you'll love what we have coming next. In the meantime, she's got a lot of Who-adjacent goods for your good nerd life.

In general, I just want to encourage people to support small creators and press. This is especially true as we speak, in an era when writers are fighting to be paid fairly and many major corporations are turning to machine-generated content to avoid having to give creators their due. As much as I (and many of us) would love to be well-known and widely-read, I'm grateful to be in among publishers who care about their writers and do what they can for us.

Thanks as always for your support, and for helping us support a worthy cause.

You Might Also Like

0 comments