Latest Posts

There's a Lot of Doctor Who-Ish Stuff Happening

By 3:00 AM

 


For various and sundry reasons, I know a lot of people follow me for my Doctor Who-adjacent work. Which is rad. Apparently aggressively injecting anime references into the expanded universe of a beloved sci-fi series has not yet been enough to get me run out of town on a rail, so I suppose I'll keep at it.

Also for various and sundry reasons, I've been writing significantly less in the past two or three years. Happy to say that has changed, and with that change comes a lot of cool developments. Games Books are back... starting with Celestial Toyroom.

Thanks to the lovely James Ashworth, I am now a contributor to the world's longest-running Doctor Who fanzine. I'm in CT548 with two articles, one being a review of the new Magic: The Gathering Universes Beyond expansion. Specifically—how will these news decks play for a Who fan with limited M:TG experience? My second is a thinkpiece that's been on my mind for years now: the need to regularly "upgrade the firmware" of Doctor Who with regards to how we as a culture watch television. In other words... we're late to the game adapting the series to the streaming era, so what needs doing?


While Celestial Toyroom will regularly review the latest Black Archive releases, I will not be part of that review process. For one big reason: I have joined the Black Archive editing team!


These are a series of book-length critical works on Doctor Who stories. (I wrote one a while back on Heaven Sent, and work has resumed on my long-delayed entry for Mawdryn Undead.) I'll be joining Stuart Douglas, Philip Purser-Hallard, and Paul Driscoll on the editing team to help bring more of these to life. It's a huge honor, and I'll admit I'm a little scared, but mostly I'm excited. This is such a fantastic project that's doing a lot to preserve the deeper stories of this show we all love.


And speaking of Obverse...




It's been announced on Facebook, so here we go. I am also the editor for ICE HOT, the second Paradise Towers anthology. This was a project I took on late last year, and it was a joy to work on. While I've edited anthologies for Altrix before (and will continue to because Books Are Back), this was my first time working so on something in the expanded universe to this degree. There are so many amazing stories in this—some are legitimately unhinged in the best way, some made me cry, and some forever recontextualized tiny moments from the original episodes. I can't wait for everyone to see this.

That's a lot... but it's still not everything. There are a couple more things in the cooker, and you'll know as soon as I've got the all-clear to talk about them. In the meantime, thanks as always for your support in all my weirdness.

You Might Also Like

0 comments