Latest Posts

Now Available: Otaku USA Magazine, Fall 2024

By 3:00 AM

 


It's that time again—time for me to get a new issue of Otaku USA Magazine in my mailbox and remember I wrote about a whole bunch of anime several months ago. The Fall 2024 issue is the latest, and I've got several pieces about some shows I really liked very much.



The first of my three reviews in this issue is for Unnamed Memory, a fantasy/romance about a cursed heir to the throne and the long-lived witch he loves. This has a lot of Frieren energy, particularly in terms of the toll of immortality.

Given the Black Archive draft I'm currently working on, I've actually been thinking a lot about immortality in fiction and how it's often seen as a curse or a monkey's paw. The examination of longevity as neither a blessing nor a curse, but rather a new spin on the human condition with its own joys and difficulties, is extremely refreshing.



Speaking of paranormal beings in love, my second review is for Vampire Dormitory. This series is pure shoujo bait, she said affectionately—about a vampire named Ruka who's so obsessed with 2D girls that he can't fall in love with a real woman. Instead, he decides to love on sad boy Mito, showing him affection until his blood tastes good again. The twist? Mito is actually a girl!

I had a lot of fun watching this series, and sometimes you just need the shoujo formula to bring you a bit of joy.



Finally for my reviews this issue, but not for my contributions this issue, is Tonari no Yokai-san. Set in an alternate universe where yokai and other beasties live alongside humans, this is a surprisingly cozy series with a lot of heart.

The deeper you dive into this series, the more there is to love: from examinations of what it means to be human to some truly dark mysteries. But all of it keeps a sort of Ghibli-adjacent vibe that makes even the most dramatic episodes feel like a warm hug.



And then there's my feature on Astro Note. This is an absolutely fab original rom-com series with lovely animation and great writing. But what really makes me love it is its retro vibe... in particular, the similarities it bears to not one, but two Rumiko Takahashi classics.

Check out your local newsstands for the latest issue, and keep an eye on the Otaku USA website for more features from me!

You Might Also Like

0 comments