New fiction, reviews, tea, and so on.

Monday, June 29, 2026

 


It's about that time again, and what a time for it to be that time. As we're all still figuring out how to feel about the Doctor Who news, we're also navigating anniversaries for the show itself. At present, I've got several things in the works for the coming months, but there are two I can talk about at present, both courtesy the DWAS. One is ready for you to enjoy now, and the other is on the way later this year.

First, it's a new Celestial Toyroom! This one is pulling double duty, celebrating both the 50th anniversary of the organization and the 30th anniversary of the TV movie starring Paul McGann. Rather than my usual book reviews and things, I've written a reflection for the latter of these two occasions. I was, after all, one of those Americans who became a fan via the movie. You know, that thing that was intended to happen?

Download the new issue now and read my piece, plus lots of fantastic articles and interviews.


The second of these items won't be available for a bit, but I'm looking forward to everyone seeing it! Doctor Who 70-79 is a lovely upcoming publication from the DWAS, covering stories and topics from across that decade of the series. There are a lot of fabulous contributors in whose company I'm extremely happy to be, as well as interviews from the DWAS archives!

My essay covers the "brutality" of serials like Genesis of the Daleks and The Deadly Assassin. Were these episodes really "too much"? What can/should young viewers handle? And how does the brutality potentially complement the message or theme of the episode? As someone who remembers the congressional hearings about violence in video games all too well, I'm always interested in really interrogating why we avert our eyes from difficult visuals, and what purpose they might actually serve.

Keep an eye on the DWAS social media accounts for more news and eventual pre-orders.

As for what's next... well, let's just say I am very busy.

3:00 AM   Posted by Kara Dennison in with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter

Search