Sometimes, a series comes along that seems to have a lot to say about your life. For me, that series was Yuki Suenaga and Takamasa Moue's manga Akane-banashi, about a teenager studying the traditional storytelling art known as rakugo. The anime adaptation kicked off this season, and it's everything I hoped it would be and more.
Besides just being a damned good series with gorgeous art and interesting storytelling, it's a series that hits hard when it comes to its messages about creative careers. As my friends know, there have been moments when I've read the latest chapter and immediately gone to rewrite something in a manuscript in progress. It's that influential and inspiring when it comes to creative fields; in particular, our place in them.
The series is extremely easy to watch, with new episodes released in multiple languages on YouTube and a Netflix run now underway. And, for what it's worth, here are just a few of the things I've personally come away with while reading and watching.
Everything you do is experience.
A great early episode shows Akane working at an izakaya (basically a Japanese pub/diner) as she's beginning her unofficial apprenticeship before high school ends. One of her seniors have noticed that she's so entrenched in her style that she can't change course when performing for different demographics. A week doing fast-paced customer service helps her get her head around what it means to read a crowd and respond to their needs, even from the stage.
As creative people, we're going to work a lot of uncreative jobs. Beyond my work as a writer, I've been a cashier, a tour guide, a bank teller, a journalist, and a medical school writing advisor. But each of these fields teaches me something new, and not just because I "can write about it someday." We tend to have a bad habit of limiting non-creative experiences to things we can "use," like an actor dealing with a bad day. But every creative job requires us to know many different things.
Being a cashier and a bank teller taught me to keep a keen eye out for details. Being a tour guide got me accustomed to establishing setting quickly. Being a journalist has increased my research skills to the point that I know where to go and who to go to for information. And damned if teaching medical school applicants how to express themselves briefly but interestingly hasn't tamed my tendency to write overlong. Every experience builds a skill set. And while you can absolutely mine them for creative inspiration, that doesn't negate their other values.
Seek your strengths, not perfection.
Perfection is overrated, impossible to achieve, and it would be boring if we did achieve it. A recent chapter of the Akane-banashi manga depicted Akane nailing a story down to near-perfection. However, she was told this wasn't enough. "It's like listening to a recording." Did she want to tell the story letter-perfect, or did she want to find her telling?
(This was, for the curious, the chapter that made me start an entire short story over.)
The traditional rakugo canon comprises approximately 500 stories, which sounds like a lot until you realize that every rakugoka working will be dipping into this same pool. This means, by default, people will perform the same stories, much as many actors have performed Shakespearean soliloquies. And so, like those soliloquies, it's important for each storyteller to find their version of the story. By and large, they find this in two ways: by targeting their strength and by bearing in mind why they took up rakugo in the first place.
For example, Karashi values making rakugo more accessible by remixing traditional stories into more contemporary tellings — hence turning the traditional "Tenshiki" into the modernized "BM." Voice actress Hikaru wants to be seen as a legitimate performer, but she also acknowledges that her strength is in compelling character work. So her telling of "Shibahama," in which the main character's wife has very few spoken lines, centers the wife and gives her an emotional monologue. And Kyoji, Akane's senior in the Shiguma school, excels at serious work and isn't good at comedy. So, he's advised to play his comedy extremely deadpan to get those laughs.
Finding the intersection of what you want to accomplish and what you excel at isn't a one-and-done thing. I've had my fiction published for more than a decade now, and I'm still rethinking what that intersection for me is every day. But in a future where human voices in creativity are more valuable than ever, finding who you are within your own work means a lot.
A little rivalry is a good thing.
I don't mean we should be going full Salieri; don't do that. (I might eventually write a similar piece to this about the Blue Blazes TV drama, which has a one-sided rivalry at its core.) I mean more in a Shonen Jump way: acknowledging what you want to accomplish, acknowledging the skills of others in your field, and aiming to catch up to them.
For much of the series, Akane is driven by what happened to her father: her need to show others that rakugo is a legitimate art form, her desire to ask Issho Arakawa why her father was expelled. But during this journey, she meets trained rakugoka who are good and know they're good. She can see what makes them tick, and she can view them as benchmarks on her journey.
Despite all she's been through, Akane has some of the healthiest and least toxic responses to criticism and rivalry I've ever seen in fiction or real life. She may be self-assured as hell, but she'll swallow advice and use it. She'll greet rivals with a smile and treat their competitions as something to be excited about, not something to dread or something that will mark one as the "loser."
In creative fields, it's so easy to feel defeated by people who are where you want to be. I fall prey to that a lot. But watching and reading this series makes me want to be different. Maybe instead of being jealous and then swallowing that jealousy, I look at the person who's achieved what I want and see what they've got. Can I see myself getting there someday? How can I improve myself to push forward and stand next to them?
Whether you're a writer, an artist, a filmmaker, some other creative career, I promise you'll get something out of this show. And even if you're not, you could watch far worse things than Akane-banashi.




0 comments:
Post a Comment